Tips on Preventing Residential and Commercial Mold Damage
Vigilance is key to preventing mold growth. A professional mold remediation company, like SERVPRO, can address mold issues in homes and businesses as well as help property owners. However, if mold growth does occur, SERVPRO should be called immediately to minimize any damage and stop the mold from spreading.
Increase the Heat
One way to prevent Auburn commercial mold from growing is to increase the heat. When the walls on a property are too cold, moisture particles in the air condensate, creating a damp film that leads to mold formation. In the summer, keep the thermostat on a low heat setting, and insulate the walls on the property.
Steam is a common cause of residential and commercial mold damage. To reduce steam, homeowners and business owners should:
• Do not allow standing water to sit in the sink or a drinking glass.
• Install and use an extractor fan in the bathroom to clear the steam after a hot shower or bath.
• Put wet clothes outside on a clothesline to dry instead of indoors.
• Run the ventilation fan on the range hood to suck up steam from liquids boiling on the stove top.
Maximize the Air Flow
An easy way to keep residential and commercial damage from the mold at bay is to open the windows and let cold air circulate inside the property. Open windows keep surfaces dry and push mold spores outdoors. To further increase the air flow and reduce hidden pockets of air, pull furniture away from walls. If mold is spotted behind furniture or curtains, SERVPRO can help eliminate it.
Other Mold Prevention Tips
There are other ways to prevent commercial damage and residential damage from mold. SERVPRO recommends that business owners and homeowners:
• Fix any leaks from dripping pipes and water overflows from eavestroughs.
• Keep the roof in good repair, especially if the roof is flat.
• Throw away mold damaged items such as books and rotting food.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
We live and work in this community too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Bay City is close by and ready to help with your mold-damaged property. We are proud to be an active member of the Bay City community and want to pitch in and help make our community the best it can be.
When a major storm or event occurs, we can call upon our national network of 1,650 SERVPRO Franchises and special Disaster Recovery Teams if we need additional resources or personnel.